JKENVIS stands for Jammu and Kashmir State Environmental Information System, which comes under the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India, which is developed to share information about the environment to decision makers, policy planners, scientists and engineers. It was established in December 1982, since then it is providing information across the Nation and working to safeguard the country’s people.
What is JKENVIS?
In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir to formulating environmental management policies, information obtained through the Environmental Information System plays a vital role, you must know that it also help in maintaining environment for decision makers, using the information obtained through it officials try their best improvement of environment for good quality of life for the living beings, to share information about environment across the State, centres are established in each State and Union Territory, and JKENVIS is also of a part of that.
In the present time, ENVIS i.e. Environmental Information System network consists of a chain of 69 network partners. Out of total 40 are for subject-specific and 29 are established in each 29 State and Union Territory of India, there 29 are connected with each other and they help one another by sharing information, which help these Environmental Information System to improve standard of living of peoples by improving environment, there is an official website for each ENVIS, the government managed web portal for JKENVIS can be accessed at https://jkenvis.nic.in/.
What is the objective of the JK Environmental Information System?
Objectives behind establishment of Jammu and Kashmir State Environmental Information System are as follows.
- By establishing ENVIS, the Government of India was to build up a repository and dissemination centre in the Environmental Science and Engineering, which helps the policy maker more.
- GOI wants to gear up state-of-the-art technologies of information acquisition, processing, storage and retrieval of information of environmental science.
- Environmental Information Systems are established to support and promote research, development and innovation in environmental information technology.
- Government has established ENVIS to promote national and international cooperation and liaison for exchange of environment related information inside the country and abroad.
- ENVIS are established to build up storage, retrieval and dissemination capabilities with the ultimate objectives of disseminating information speedily.
You also need to know that the Environmental Information System Is a continuation of the Sustainable Development Networking Programme, India (SDNP-India) programme, which is funded jointly by the UNDP and IDRC, Canada, you learn more about it one can navigate to web portal at http://envis.nic.in/ENVIS_html/about.html.