The Department of Ecology, Environment and Remote Sensing, came into existence in the year 1987, under the Department of Science and Technology with the creation of one post of Director and transfer of Remote sensing Centre from the Department of Soil Conservation to the Department of Ecology, Environment and Remote Sensing. Subsequently technical as well as administrative staff was added through various Govt. orders. The recruitment rules for gazetted and sub-ordinate services under the Department of Ecology, Environment and Remote Sensing were notified vide SRO no. 221 dated 28.07.2009 and SRO 298 dated 15.09.2006 respectively.
Degradation of the Environment caused by polluted atmosphere has tremendous impact on our day to day life and amounts to violation of Right to life. In India the concern for environment protection has not only been raised to status of fundamental law of land, but, it is also coupled with human right approach. It is now well established that it is the basic right of every citizen to have a pollution free environment with dignity.
The constitution of India obligates State as well as citizens to protect and improve the environment. This department was created to uphold its obligation as envisaged in the constitution of India, as well as that of the Govt. of Jammu and Kashmir, with an objective to protect and manage environment for sustainable development of the Nation in general and Jammu & Kashmir State in particular.
Details of Business transacted by the Ecology Environment and Remote Sensing Department:
Details of Customers/Client.
- To identify areas of Environmental concern in the State of Jammu & Kashmir and to advise the Government on such issues.
- To formulate plans for sustainable environmental protection.
- To advise the State Government on formulation of environmental related policies/issues.
- To create environmental awareness by involving the Schools, Colleges & Universities, through awareness programmes.
- To educate the general masses on environmental issues, by conducting Seminars, Cultural activities, distribution of environmental awareness, publicity material.
- To organize group discussions, debates, essay writing competitions, drawing competitions, slogan writing competitions, quiz competitions in schools, colleges, professional institutes in urban and as well as in rural areas, on the present environmental scenario.
- To create environmental awareness through print media/electronic media.
- To conduct impact Assess studies of important projects.
- To involve the village committees and Municipal Committees for better hygienic environmental atmosphere by giving them basic knowledge/trainings.
- To undertake the Remote Sensing projects/other projects of Environmental significance of State for managing the natural resources.
- Use of Remote Sensing Applications for mapping of wasteland of state and assessment of Natural resources.
Being a Government Department, its prime client is the State Government; however, with regard to its corollary activities, its Customers also happens to be the citizens of the State/Educational institutions, Non Government organizations and other Government agencies outside the State.
Statement of Service provided to its citizens/client.
To achieve the business, the following works have been taken by the department.
- Established Environment Parks in the State, which are learning laboratories for nature education for all sections of the society, the parks provide thematic concept on environmental and natural resource management of the state. Several training programs are being organized in the environment parks as part of environmental education. These Parks provide complete information on the physical and biological resources of all the three regions of the State.
- Environment information and creation of public awareness.
- Environment trainings, research and education.
- Afforestation activities as per the topography of the area.
- To undertake eco-restoration work in the degraded catchment area.
- Conducting Remote Sensing Studies in the State.